RE: types of use cases? -- Re: regrets for today's meeting

Hi Jose,

I'm asking because I believe this shows also another issue for the Group: what kind of use cases do we want?

Real and implemented solutions or also ideas that could address some eGov issues?

This is a very good point that needs clarification. I wasn't sure either. Taking for granted that the purpose of the group is to identify possible areas where standardization could be triggered at a latter stage, I would agree that existing practices seem to be more mature for this purpose if compared to "ideas". Nevertheless, I wouldn't close the door altogether to ideas that may seem interesting and with a strong potential. I understand that you share this view too.

Have any of those been implemented and deployed by a government already?

a) The idea about using SIOC for linking political discussion on the web has not been tested on a real environment so far. We envision of a SIOC-politics extension to capture extra domain semantics. But this needs work... So, with the (already) success of SIOC we could expect a situation where SIOC extensions cover data integration needs in different domains, in a similar way we may identify a direction of using FOAF extensions for particular areas (e.g. [1], [2]).

b) The idea about using a common model for describing in a generic way public services comes both from research (e.g. [3],[4]) and practice (e.g. [5]) and is currently being tested in Cyprus. We work in a central government project to document >100 public services using a common public service model. The descriptions are to be used for a central governmental call center and later by multiple other projects (e.g. web portal, process documentation and re-engineering, etc). We are at the stage of collecting descriptions for the services and have a software platform in place to support the documentation process. Results and lessons-learnt are expected early-mid 2009.

What we advocate here is basically the need for such a common model and the value we could have if we could agree at the W3C level for such a reference conceptual (and not technical) model. Following a similar "onion" approach to SIOC and FOAF the model could be developed around a generic service model core and then domain-specific specializations could form "onion rings" adding domain semantics. There are already existing generic service models and many models proposed by researchers and governments that could be taken into consideration and provide the input for such an in-depth discussion, which of course is out of scope for this IG.

As we recently discussed several times on "web basics" even basic things

like persistence are not being correctly implemented or government

don't provide any data in reusable open formats although they have

been around for quite some time already.

I agree. On the other hand, leaving space for more domain-specific standardization challenges/opportunities is also important. For the generic "web basics" standards W3C can surely try to advertise and promote the day-to-day usage of standards by governments. Nice use cases from governments already using standards in meaningful ways could make the message clearer and increase visibility. At the same time, I think it makes sense for W3C to try to identify areas where domain-specific standards could bring more value to the government business.

Best regards,

Vassilios

[1] http://ramonantonio.net/doac/

[2] http://epeyman.googlepages.com/covoc.html

[3] www.semantic-gov.org <http://www.semantic-gov.org/>

[4] http://www.springerlink.com/content/ghx1agtk3bq1n9pc/

[5] Office of e-Envoy UK, e-Services Development Framework Primer v1.0b. 2002