RE: [agenda] eGov IG telecon, 1 October 2008

Hi all,

 I have created a wiki entry (http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Inventory) referenced from the Activity plan. The idea is to put here our findings / proposals while we're at the

 Month 1 through 3
  Conduct Inventory of existing applications, use of standards, government initiatives

 task of the activity plan.

 best regards

 ocr

--
Oscar Azañon Esteire
oscarae@princast.es
>>> "Owen Ambur" <Owen.Ambur@verizon.net> 02/10/08 19:31 >>>
Oscar, although wikis are less than satisfactory for managing and efficiently sharing large amounts of information, to the degree that we need to start small, by all means, please do put up a wiki page/site and let's see what comes of it.

Here's what I'd suggest as the initial content for one of its pages: "XML schemas (XSDs) should be developed for all governmental information and posted on agency Web sites with documentation included to define each element in plain language."

With respect to the activity statement you have quoted, I don't believe we should try to conduct an inventory of "applications" -- unless the application relates directly to how government agencies are identifying and applying standards.

For example, I believe the U.S. Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) Technical Reference Model (TRM) is a highly relevant "initiative" that should be included in the inventory, along with similar initiatives in other countries.  However, I wouldn't call it an "application".

On the other hand, I would call the ET.gov site an application, part of whose purpose is to assist in identifying technical standards
(specifications) that should be included in the FEA TRM. http://et.gov/

Owen