conceptual model for public service

I'd like to see a use case for a model like this, to help me understand its potential benefits.

Ok, then I could try to come up with a use case description. In brief: just imagine the case where services are modeled following this representation and then html descriptions available through governmental portals all over the world, (e.g. [1]) are annotated using RDFa with the terms of the model. We actually create semantic eGov portals that could address questions like:

*         give me all services that need a valid driving-license as input,

*         give me the services that are affected (changes in their preconditions) with the change of law X that happened yesterday in the congress,

*         give me which services are available for elderly people (where they have age>65 as a precondition) from the municipality where I live and so on ...

But even documenting services using a common language (XML or RDFa) and schemas may not be as trivial as it may seem, and could lead to additional interesting use cases ...

And then we can think of the situation where more countries annotate their services using this common, simple model. This is actually what we try to do in some EU projects, e.g. SemanticGov or a new European project which is about to start ("Rural Inclusion") for promoting Pan-European eGovernment Services (Ireland, Spain, Latvia, France, Greece). In such infrastructures, cross-border queries become possible: e.g. give me all services within EU that may be offered by any government to companies with less than 50 employees (precondition).

Vassilios, do you have a glossary containing definitions of each of the

elements in plain English?

Please find attached a draft glossary for the model.

At the high level the model captures the input-output-controls-resources of a service (yes, inspired by IDEF0 modeling). I just want to focus the discussion on the need for further work and agreement on models like this and avoid in depth discussions about the particularities of the specific model which can be used as an input - amongst others - to this general discussion.

@ Jose: I have the feeling (though still need to check) through participation and work in European eGov projects that there is already a nuclear of W3C members organizations that could support the proposal of a future group within W3C to work towards this direction. If this feeling is shared with at least some of the participants of this group then I could volunteer to initiate a more active discussion/survey to check the real interest of more parties.

Best regards,

Vassilios

[1] http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories

I'd like to see a use case for a model like this, to help me understand its

potential benefits.

Vassilios, do you have a glossary containing definitions of each of the

elements in plain English?  In part 2 of the Strategy Markup Language

(StratML) standard, we plan to include the following elements that are

contained in your conceptual model:

      http://xml.gov/stratml/draft/StratMLCoreGlossary.xml#InputType

      http://xml.gov/stratml/draft/StratMLCoreGlossary.xml#OutputType

      http://xml.gov/stratml/draft/StratMLCoreGlossary.xml#OutcomeType

In the first release of the standard, our <Stakeholder> element includes

both the Citizen as well as the Service Provider concepts contained in your

model: http://xml.gov/stratml/draft/StratMLCoreGlossary.xml#Stakeholder

In a future release, we may include an element for <Authority>, which would

include your concept of Law as well as regulation.

While the first page needs to be updated a bit to reflect the current draft

of the first release of StratML, the second page of the following graphic

depicts our preliminary thinking about the elements of the second release,

which will specify the elements of performance plans and reports:

http://xml.gov/stratml/draft/StratMLPerformancePlanCoreFrameworkV3.pdf A

simplified view of what we may call the Value Chain is provided at

http://xml.gov/stratml/draft/ValueChain.htm

Our intent is for the StratML standard to be generic enough to apply not

just to all government agencies but also all organization worldwide,

including commercial enterprises.  However, the use case I have drafted for

consideration by the eGov IG is available at

http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Use_Case_1_-_Strategic_Plans

Hopefully, having a clearer understanding of not only of the <Stakeholders>

but also the required <Inputs> as well as the desired <Outputs> and

<Outcomes> will eventually facilitate more rational consideration of the

distinctions between functions that are inherently governmental in nature

versus those that may more efficiently and effectively be conducted by

commercial/industrial organizations.

Owen Ambur

Co-Chair Emeritus, xmlCoP

Co-Chair, AIIM StratML Committee