Re: IRC problems

From: Rinke Hoekstra <hoekstra@uva.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:44:29 +0200
Cc: public-egov-ig@w3.org
To: "Benjamin Nguyen" <benjie.nguyen@gmail.com>

Hi All,

Most IRC clients do not force you to connect through a secure port and
will let you connect through port 80 as well. I know Qolloquy (for
mac) does.

Best,

	Rinke

On 10 jul 2008, at 13:28, Benjamin Nguyen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am behind a firewall, and I usually connect to IRC using the web
> interface, however on my computer for some undetermined reason (I'm
> using Windows XP) I have tremendous lag receiving information from
> IRC. Surprisingly, the information I type seems to go out "in real
> time" but I get feedback only minutes later. On of my collegues also
> connecter to the IRC web interface but using linux has no lag... so
> I'd say even the web IRC can be dodgy, in my case it is.
>
> Regards,
>
> BN
>
> 2008/7/10 Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>:
>
> All,
>
> I heard from some of you issues connecting to IRC because of
> firewalls. Some colleagues have reminded me that the IRC server at
> W3C is also available using the standard port 80.
>
> So if you can browse the Web, you should be able to connect using
> that port. Please, try it next time and let me know if you cannot
> still get in.
>
>  http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Teleconferences#How-to_join__-
> _IRC
>

> Best,
> Jose.
>
> --
> Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>    W3C/CTIC
> eGovernment Lead                  http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands