W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-egov-ig@w3.org > December 2008

[minutes] eGov IG call, 10 Dec 2008

From: Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:15:27 +0100
Message-Id: <EA273B5B-1D32-4243-A4F6-CE35A4247F26@w3.org>
To: eGov IG <public-egov-ig@w3.org>

Hi all,

Daft minutes are at:
   http://www.w3.org/2008/12/10-egov-minutes

and as text at the end of the message. They'll be final tomorrow  
morning as usual.

IMPORTANT: in order to let you review and comment on the draft Note  
structure, we resolved to have a Group call next Wednesday 17 Dec  
2008, 14:00Z

Please, read and comment on the draft structure
     http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Group_Note

-- Jose

----------------
- DRAFT -
eGovernment Interest Group Teleconference
10 Dec 2008

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2008/12/10-egov-irc

Attendees

    Present
           josema, ari (part), rick, john

    Regrets
           oscar, martin, kjetil, kevin

    Chair
           john

    Scribe
           josema

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]appoint a scribe
          2. [5]agenda adjustments
          3. [6]outline of first editor's draft
          4. [7]next meeting
      * [8]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

  appoint a scribe

    <scribe> scribe: josema

    <josema> again :(

agenda adjustments

    [TWB could not secure funding to host joint event with OASIS, so we
    are not organizing it for now]

outline of first editor's draft

    [jose explains why the "new" topic areas speaking in gov terms]

    [john on they are familiar, and we also need to think about the
    different audiences we target, some even dealing with XSDs]

    josema: do you miss any big area?

    john: maybe on government as provider of information, not entirely
    transparency

    [we start to find same problem as yesterday, some not only about the
    topic area where they are, but affecting more]

    john: some, eg. transparency is about public policy outcome, while
    interoperability is about technology
    ... a public policy outcome is a thing like "reducing fraud"
    ... maybe we could use the kind of policy outcomes as a list under
    every area
    ... and stick to those that are technology challenges

    josema: I like this idea, we should try it

    john: we could also list specific examples of countries doing this
    or that
    ... what they are trying to achieve, when they are confronting the
    same technology challenges
    ... this needs much discussion in the mailing list
    ... about both points of view
    ... I personally like the list and just have issue with
    "Participation..." and "Transparency"
    ... they should be written in technology challenges terms
    ... I'd also like us to mention something beyond current existing
    challenges
    ... and put something about what they should be looking into for the
    next 3-5 years

    rick: from experience in Groups like these key is how it can be
    effective
    ... what's exactly W3C role here in affecting the eGov echo system
    of players
    ... I would suggest a focus on what W3C does that is really special
    about W3c
    ... categorization is common problem, it gets in the message of the
    way of having the message crafted
    ... and reaching people
    ... is W3C trying to influence a legislator, an administrative
    leader?
    ... that reduces the context
    ... I suggest some very short term focus on things that can be
    accomplished
    ... before the Group expires in May
    ... I personally focus on some small problem, knowing that I loose
    some context
    ... but keeping work alive and achieve a smaller goal

    john: we wanted to position the Group as mediator between the very
    technical
    ... stuff that W3C produces and the government needs
    ... touching on things largely unique to W3C

    josema: +1

    rick: useful discussion, building the paths takes time, happy to
    discuss further later in time

    john: let's convene a Group call next week, give time to people to
    review draft and comment

    josema: ok

    RESOLUTION: convene Group call next week, 17 Dec 2008; 14:00Z

    <scribe> ACTION: josema to setup conference bridge [recorded in
    [9]http://www.w3.org/2008/12/10-egov-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-41 - Setup conference bridge [on Josť
    Manuel Alonso - due 2008-12-17].

next meeting

    [resolved above: 17 Dec 2008; 14:00Z]

    [ADJOURNED]

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: josema to setup conference bridge [recorded in
    [10]http://www.w3.org/2008/12/10-egov-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [11]scribe.perl version 1.133
     ([12]CVS log)
     $Date: 2008/12/11 11:58:12 $

      [11] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [12] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 11 December 2008 12:16:14 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 11 December 2008 12:16:14 GMT