Re: EditContext Shipping in Chromium (January 2024) 🥳

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing and to all who helped make this possible!

-travis
________________________________
From: Johannes Wilm <mail@johanneswilm.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 9, 2023 12:03:27 PM
To: public-editing-tf@w3.org <public-editing-tf@w3.org>
Subject: EditContext Shipping in Chromium (January 2024) 🥳

Hey,
congratulations everyone! 🎂 🎆

I would like to thank all those who have been working on this over the years and especially to Daniel Clark who has been putting the finishing touches on it over the past couple of months.

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/5004542

Shipping the EditContext API is something that, in combination with Input Events, is an answer to a lot of those challenges that we set out to solve back in 2014. After multiple setbacks over the years, not the least central parts of Input Events being removed from Chromium in the 11th hours as well as the recent restructuring within several browser companies, it looked doubtful whether we would get here within our lifetime.

I am positively surprised that you managed to get us here this quickly!

There is still more to be done and the Web Editing Working Group will not shut down quite yet. One of the next challenges is seeing whether we can get multiple implementations so that it will be possible to build cross-platform editors that handle IMEs correctly without having to resort to any of the many tricks that have become so popular in our industry over the past 20-25 years.

--
Johannes Wilm, PhD
tel +46766922220