Re: Stickers in contenteditable?

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 12:48 AM, Gary Kačmarčík (Кошмарчик) <
garykac@google.com> wrote:

> I can pass along questions you might have and/or get you in touch with
> some people if needed.
>
> However, I don't see how "stickers" by themselves warrant any special
> support -- they're basically just inline images with no real consistency
> between vendors or even between sticker packs from the same vendor.
>

> Having stickers provided by the OS/UA is a non-starter because there is no
> unified registry (nor do we want to maintain one). Even if there was a
> registry (like Unicode is for emoji), there are still issues where users on
> one platform get annoyed unless their stickers/emoji show up *exactly* as
> they appeared when the message was composed. Many users specifically misuse
> emoji based on the appearance (cf. eggplant emoji) and don't want the
> recipient to get a different image.

I think that is part of the point: The user agent provides images that are
sent as images. There is no common registry. We cannot dictate where the
user agent gets those images from, but one could for example imagine an
Android soft keyboard bundling some images and also allowing users to add
their own images to the collection.

The difference from other types of images would be the metadata provided
with them.

> So to support stickers properly, we'd really just need to support generic
> inline images.

As for inline images - the main difficulty has been getting the caret to
move around them correctly. I believe that was actually solved a while ago
in all the browsers. There were more "exotic" elements (such as SVGs, or
canvas elements) that have been more problematic. So unless there are other
issues I am unaware of, I think images are OK as they are right now.

> Anything beyond that feels out of scope for the editing api.

At the beginning, when I first heard about it, my first thought was also
that this was just another example of browser-overreach, where the browser
tries to do add more features to the text editor, and in the end it just
never really works because it ends up being too complex, buggy and doesn't
work across browsers or cannot be used in combination with JavaScript
operations that are needed to keep the entire thing going. Also, the type
of editor I have been working on is more in the academic corner, so this
didn't really seem to apply.

But then I saw some points to it:
* If Microsoft is going to add sticker support to some input controls and
we don't have an inputtype for it, they will probably just use paste.
Thereby we lose semantic information about what is coming in. Also, once we
add the ability to turn off specific input types, editors that don't want
stickers won't have any way to explain to the user agents that they are not
interested in stickers (which would likely cause the user agents to disable
the input controls related to stickers).
* Maintaining a sticker collection and use them across web apps is
difficult. This would make it somewhat more easily accessible.
* Stickers should have more than just the image data that we could also get
in a paste. There could for example be different size versions of the image
so that the JS edito can decide which one makes more sense. CKEditor
mentioned that one would need a type to understand if the sticker is meant
as an inline emoji-replacement or an block-level sticker.

> But I worry that spending time adding support for inline images/rich
> content (while quite useful) would be a distraction from nailing down the
> remaining issues.

I am also skeptical. The remaining issues are definitely more important to
resolve. "Rich content" is more problematic. Remember that everything that
goes into the editing element has to go through the JS editor's way of
understanding the world. If we added support for say 3 or 4 different
pieces of richtext, then JS editors can probably figure out to deal with
that. But fi we just add an infinite amount of arbitrary richtext, then the
JS editor will likely deal with that like it deals with paste: it will
filter through it and keep those parts it understands. That may in many
cases mean that the richtext content will end up garbled in the output.

> I think that this might be worth doing, but I'm not convinced that it's
> worth doing right now.

I would also preferably want to finish those things we set out to do first.
But if Microsoft is going to launch this sticker bar in a few weeks, like
Apple launched the touchbar last year (?), then I would like to get what is
needed in place so that JS editors can dela with the new type of input.
It's not optimal that the users get more new ways of inputting data, and
once they go to the web they discovered that using these controls breaks
all their favorite websites.

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Grisha Lyukshin <glyuk@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In addition, to stickers, there could be any rich content, really. We
>> could have something like "richContentInput" with some metadata, containing
>> what the content is, or something similar.
>>

>> @Chrome folks: do you happen to have contacts in Gmail, Google+ or any
>> other Google editors that have some kind of messaging capability that we
>> could inquire about this and other editing related questions?
>>

>> - Grisha
>>

>> Sent from Outlook <http://aka.ms/weboutlook>

http://www.johanneswilm.org
tel: +1 (520) 399 8880