Re: style preserving when forward deleting characters in content editable div

I'm seeing Chrome and Edge do the same thing in your second test case (i.e.
the z is red). Maybe I'm mistesting?

It could be we do something different on Windows, but that would be a bug.

My mental model of the Chrome (and Safari) behavior is that we always grab
the style of the content to the left of the caret, except for links. Links
are special because they're not just styling. Users are most annoyed by
being unable to escape them and often rich text widgets don't give an easy
way of truncating anchors they way they do styling. Although, I'll admit
that our current behavior of inserting unstyled black text is a bit
unexpected, it's not a thing I've ever heard complaints about.
https://jsfiddle.net/whbk8npa/2/

To be clear, we only treat links specially, not all anchor tags (i.e. if it
has no href, it's the same as a span).

The Firefox behavior has nothing to do with delete. It has to do with which
direction your selection approached that point in the DOM from. You can
the point between a and b from different directions.