Re: CSS and copy/pasting guidelines

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:17 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> The CSSWG discussed the effect of 'text-transform' on copy/pasted text
> last year:
>   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Apr/0282.html

This sounds like this is about the plain text version of the copied
contents. There it may make sense.

Just to make sure: the html/richtext version should probably not do
anything like this, as JS editor programmers will want o manipualte
clipboard contents before the actual pasting is happening, cleaning it up
in ways we cannot quite imagine here right now.

Also, I wonder if this is something the clipboard API people have an
opinion about (CC Hallvord).

There wasn't broad agreement, but there were a few points brought up.

> Pro-transform:
>   * Users could be surprised if they don't get the uppercasing/lowercasing
>     they see in the document.
>
> Con-transform:
>   * Typographic choices like small-caps vs all-caps shouldn't impact
> content.
>   * The 'large-kana' transform is highly inappropriate to be preserved and
>     is semantically lossy.
>   * Leaving text-transform as a render-time effect allows both behaviors
>     (render-time using text-transform, or content-time by changing
> content).
>
> One principle that was proposed is that CSS in general shouldn't affect
> copy/paste operations except for
>   * generated content
>   * the 'display' property
>
> The CSSWG asked me to solicit feedback from the Editing TF.
>
> ~fantasai

Fidus Writer
http://www.fiduswriter.org