web input model (was "Re: The web doesn't need...")

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 01:52:22PM +0200, Piotr Koszuliński wrote:
> > 1. It is possible to write client code that implements all of this,
> without using any contentEditable at all.
>
> No, it isn't possible currently. And there's a very long way to go before
> it'd be possible. I've written an article to explain exactly this situation
> –
> https://medium.com/content-uneditable/contenteditable-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-261a38555e9c

Would you agree that almost all of the obstacles to implementing
contenteditable in JavaScript reside in the web input model?  As
you mention in the article, an editor needs to assert keyboard
focus, to avoid *accidentally* intercepting or conflicting with
OS/browser key-chords and -compositions, and to *purposefully*
suppress/override certain platform key combinations.  These seem like
desirable input-model capabilities for non-editing applications, too.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung@pobox.com    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981