Re: 3 things

> On Oct 22, 2015, at 9:21 AM, David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 04:01:01PM +0900, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
>> I don't think implementing keyboard shortcuts in JavaScript is a good idea. You end up sniffing the operating system name and behaving differently on each one.  e.g. Cmd+B on Mac to bold text but Ctrl+B to do the same on Windows.  The whole point of the Web platform is to provide an abstraction around such a platform-dependent behaviors.
>
> There's another way to look at this question.  The web has a lot of
> seats with keyboards.  Some of those seats are Mac seats, some of them
> are Windows seats.  Some users will change seats.

Could you clarify what you mean by "keyboard seats"?

> Putting aside shortcuts for a moment, it's also good for the Tab
> key and the Backspace/Delete (leftward erase) key to behave in a
> platform-independent way.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding but we don't want to ignore platform conventions.  It doesn't make any sense to assign the same shortcut keys with Control key on Mac and Windows since Control key is used differently on those two platforms.

> One of the sticking points in creating a decent web editor today is
> that you cannot create an interaction that is as consistent as keyboard
> hardware is.

I don't know what you mean by this.

- R. Niwa