Re: explanatory note: preventDefault, IME & keyboard input

> On 20 Oct 2015, at 21:30, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It looks like I keep failing to communicate what I'd like to speak to you, so let me skip all details and try as plain English as possible.
>
> I'm trying to tell you two things; one fact and one my opinion.
>
> First, the fact. There are some platforms that can't do what you want.

I would like a clarification about "what you want", and in particular, with regards to the statement earlier made by Ojan:

> On 19 Oct 2015, at 13:26, Ojan Vafai <ojan@google.com> wrote:
>
> I'm making two key assumptions:
> 1. Keeping IMEs working correctly is non-negotiable. Any API we design needs to work correctly to the extent that is reasonably possible. That doesn't mean that every combination of actions needs to do what a user expects. For example, even in a non-IME world, a JS author can do crazy things on every keypress. There is no way to guard against that. There's not even a way to make that hard to do.
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that this *does* imply that we can't make preventDefault work for all IME input.
>
> 2. Giving JS authors complete control over DOM modifications is non-negotiable. Any author who has worked on a JS library can see the desperate need for this. It's just fundamental to having a decent editing platform. This does not, however, mean that the author needs to be able to preventDefault all actions.

Are you saying that these 2 proposition are impossible to simultaneously fulfill on some platforms?

If yes, could you clarify which platform cannot do which part of that?

If that's not what you mean, then I am not sure what you mean. The above statements by Ojan
reflect "what I want", and everything else is just an attempt to get there. I believe this position
is also shared by Johannes (but he can speak for himself).

 - Florian