Re: 3 things

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 6:30 AM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@google.com> wrote:

> IMO, there are three things I'd like to get agreement on in Sapporo and
> then I'll be happy encouraging our Chrome editing folks to consider
> implementing what we've got.
>
> 1. The composition + focus change thread I just sent an email about.
> 2. Spec the delete behavior. I think this is a small subset of execCommand
> and is the only way to make contentEditable=typing not treat IMEs in some
> weird, special way.

Why do we need this again?

As far as I can tell, there are only two operations that can potentially
remove parts of the DOM:

1. Within an IME text composition, it can remove one of the characters.
This is an operation that only happens on a text node.

2. When recomposing text in an IME that supports this (Android/iOS), if the
word that is to be composed goes across several DOM elements, the browser
tries to move all parts of the word into just a single element at some
stage (compositionstart or when the first change is made). This can mean
that nodes are destroyed, etc. .

These two things are reasons why I would want to sandbox the IME input so
that the JavaScript can figure out what to do with the entire composed text.

As for defining deletion in general, I fear we are opening Pandora's Box
there. We will need to handle paragraph merging and just about all the
other complex things Florian mentions.

> 3. As complete a list as we can get of the editing types.
>
> FWIW, we can implement each of these 3 independently, so they don't block
> each other.

Yes, I would still like to get Apple's list of formatting commands they
have in at least one menu on one of their devices.

I have received Microsoft's list for actions they have in menus on their
various devices, and that list is really short and covered by what we have
already. I have asked for a list of things they have keyboard shortcuts to.
Such a list would be nice to have, but it seems to me that a specific
keyboard shortcut not working automatically, is not as bad as having a
system menu not work. Also, keyboard shortcuts can be implemented in
JavaScript as of today.

Fidus Writer
http://www.fiduswriter.org