Re: Editing TF process?

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 11:44:52 +0200, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I merely remember, if I'm not mistaken, there were some discussions
> that we don't want to make "decisions" at F2F, because this TF has
> several Invited Experts and not all can make every F2F.
>
> I liked that, but I don't think we have discussed how then we would
> make "decisions".
>
> Can we discuss and set our process for what is, say, consensus for
> this TF, how to build it, what kind of things would need WG
> resolutions, and so forth?

We're part of the Web Platform working group, and the formal decision
policy is written in the charter:
<http://www.w3.org/2015/10/webplatform-charter.html#decisions>
That points to the Work Mode documents, which you should read:
<https://github.com/w3c/WebPlatformWG/blob/gh-pages/WorkMode.md> (That
document can be changed if the Group makes a decision to do so :) ).

Things that need WG resolutions are "the things we don't just happily
agree on" - the goal is that we create obvious consensus as we go… but of
course it doesn't always work out like that.

We can make decisions by either
1. Call for Consensus - send an email, giving a week or so, and asking for
a "yes/no" answer on a particular question.
2. To make a decision in a meeting we record it as a Resolution, and send
the minutes to the Web Platform admin list. People have 10 days to object
- e.g. if they weren't at the meeting, and if they don't, it is a decision.

In general these should be technical decisions. Background philosophy,
like "should we only allow people to type Cyrillic" or "should we
determine error-handling for everything" is legitimate for debate, but
formal decisions should be on things where this meets testable reality,
like "if someone tries to type Cyrillic, throw" or "error X must be dealt
with in the following way…"

Does that give enough of a framework? Do you think we need more formality
within the TF?

cheers

Chaals

(I'm one of the chairs of the WG, so more formally, decisions are what I
and my co-chairs announce they are, subject to the constraints from our
charter and the process as noted above).