Re: High-level goals and objectives of the Editing TF (was Way forward and IME behavior speccing

> On 15 Oct 2015, at 12:51, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for bringing this to a higher level discussion, it is what I was wishing so much. I think this is a big change in the overall direction of the TF, and it needs a resolution at WG level. If we're going that way, can you check with Art or W3C team staff if if it's needed, and how if so?

I think this is completely consistent with the overall direction this TF has had from the very start.

Recognizing that browsers vendors have, over the course of many years, decided not to invest the substantial amount of resources it would take to make contentEditable, execcommand and related APIs sufficiently powerful and interoperable to address the needs of editing of the web, we set out to define a minimum set of APIs/attributes/events/... which do not, by themselves, provide these capabilities, but do allow a javascript based editors to do so.

I also completely disagree with your statement that the discussions here about potential limits to what browsers can do to the DOM in the context of IME do a disservice to minorities (to the extend we can even consider the CJK world a minority). I believe it is doing the very opposite.

By imposing some restrictions on what IME can do to the DOM, just like we are imposing restrictions on what every other editing operation by driven the UA can do to the DOM, we make it possible for js editors to work with IMEs, and actually support these languages.

The alternative, as is frequently seen today, is that js editors will frequently either ignore what IMEs can do and simply fail to work correctly when they are used, or even be implemented without using contentEditable at all, making IMEs impossible to even activate. Neither of which is better for the users of languages that require an IME.

It is precisely because js based editors want to deal with IMEs graciously that they want to have control over IMEs. Far from discriminating against minorities, they want browsers to stop making it so hard to support them.

 - Florian