Re: existing contenteditable spec

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 3:52 AM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/18/15 5:15 PM, Johannes Wilm wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>> I was recently asked whether we are also editing this spec: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/editing/raw-file/tip/editing.html
>>
>> This seems to be something creating under the WhatWG in around 2012 or so. It does contain some basic ideas on how execCommand some and some other essential contenteditable elements behave.
>>
>> I would suggest that we will take over this specification unless someone else is editing it and add anything related to execCommand and other contenteditable parts mentioned there.
>>
>> Currently our specs build on the concept that execCommand is being spec'ed somewhere else, so if such a specification already (partially) exists in a W3C spec, then we should build on that spec or replace it, or drop execCommand entirely.
>>
>> Anyone here who would like to edit this spec?

The spec has not been actively maintained for a long time, and I have
no plans to resume maintaining it, so anyone who wants to take over
should please do so.  I think Ryosuke Niwa has already split off the
Selection-specific bits, so double-check that before editing them.  If
anyone wants to take over, I very strongly encourage them to keep the
included test suite synchronized with the spec -- I'd be happy to
explain how.  (Basically there's a reference JavaScript implementation
that you need to update to match spec changes.)  I found the test
suite essential in making sure that the spec was correct, since the
subject matter is so complicated.  The suite has also proved
invaluable for regression-testing in Mozilla code.