Re: on execCommand() and script-triggered copy/cut/paste

> On Aug 5, 2015, at 2:03 PM, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org> wrote:
> > Maybe we should just move everything about execCommand and the clipboard to
> > the execCommand spec? So move your section 10.3 into the execCommand spec,
> > which is marked as "currently obsolete".
> >
> > That way execCommand it won't end up a a W3C recommendation with no good
> > reason.
>
> HTML5 is a W3C Recommendation and it specifies obsolete non-conforming
> features, e.g.:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/obsolete.html#non-conforming-features
>
> Implementations must still support such features, but authors must not
> use them.  Also, execCommand() is in HTML5 too:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/editing.html#editing-apis
>
> So I don't see what the problem is.
>
> No problem at all, just trying to understand how the W3C spec system works, both in theory and in practice.
>
> So let me rephrase that: That way we can go ahead and mark execCommand as obsolete, without execCommand simultaneously showing up in a specification that is actively being worked on and will eventually hit recommendation status (for the first time with detailed description of some possible keywords).

No, execCommand **definitely** needs to remain in the recommended spec as an obsolete feature regardless of whether its use is discouraged or not.

The idea that we should only write specifications for the bright new future has failed. See XHTML 2.0. We need to spec every obsolete feature that is needed for Web compatibility reasons because that’s the only way we can allow people to write new interoperable browser from scratch. And I can assure you can’t build a Web browser compatible with the Web without contenteditable=true and execCommand support. A whole bunch of contents e.g. Gmail would not work.

- R. Niwa