Re: Only Text Input and Intention Events

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Frederico Knabben <f.knabben@cksource.com>
wrote:

>  @Johannes, if I understood it well, so far the discussion is about the
> character insertions intention only. It simply assumes that the selection
> exists. Our goal is defining how the insertion should work for *any kind*
> of selection.
>
> What you're talking about is to have a consistent selection UI. I agree
> this is also very important and I assume this is a different part of the
> spec.

Ah Ok, I assumed we were here talking about one specification outlining a
specific dumbed-down-contenteditable that be default lets character input
go through and nothing else and that the part about the selection just
wouldn't be specified. If this is not the case, I retract my words.

> @Ben, btw, the proposed minimal cE includes caret movement and selection
> as well, right? In that case, please be sure to open a dedicated section in
> the spec just for that.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Frederico Knabben
> CKEditor Project Lead and CKSource Owner
> --
> CKSource - http://cksource.com
> --
> Follow us on: Twitter <http://twitter.com/ckeditor> | Facebook
> <http://www.facebook.com/ckeditor> | Google+
> <https://plus.google.com/107736718646302128806> | LinkedIn
> <http://www.linkedin.com/company/cksource>
>
> On Thursday, 27 November 2014 at 21:11, Johannes Wilm wrote:
>
>  Editor devs can listen for text insert event, and if text is about to be
> inserted in the wrong node they can move the selection to the right place
> then let the default behavior take place.
>

> This all makes me think that this mode is something that noone ever
> expects to be useful by itself, without any javascript to support it.
>

> Yes. My view is that this is a developer's API.
>

> ok, that a legitimate position. This should be very clear in instructions
> spec, etc. for any developer building on top of it: In order to achieve
> consistent behavior, also insert character events *HAVE TO* be interrupted
> and the selection potentially moved before the event default takes place.

Fidus Writer
http://www.fiduswriter.org