RE: Only Text Input and Intention Events: Return key

The difference between cE=typing and a simple input control is that cE=typing supports full HTML content. This is why I don't think we should support delete in the browser. We should be clear that you must have a javascript editor backing cE=typing because otherwise it's not useful at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: Koji Ishii [mailto:kojiishi@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 7:36 AM
To: Norbert Lindenberg
Cc: Frederico Knabben; Ben Peters; public-editing-tf
Subject: Re: Only Text Input and Intention Events: Return key

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Norbert Lindenberg <w3@lindenbergsoftware.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 4, 2014, at 5:07 , Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Frederico. All control codes should not be handled,
>> including ENTER and TAB. Today I had some informal discussion with my
>> colleague about whether it should handle BACKSPACE/DEL or not. I
>> think it should not, but he disagreed with me.
>
> I’d be interested in hearing both your and your colleague’s arguments on BACKSPACE/DEL.

Hi Norbert, glad to talk to you in this TF.

I think it's not "typing", and is quite easy to implement in JavaScript. The wish for editor developers to implement them differently from other editors may be small, but may not be zero.
There was a discussion in Unicode ML that when user pressed two keys to enter one character (such as letters with diacritical marks,) should BACKSPACE erase the last character, or the last user action?
Some East Asian IME implements BACKSPACE right after the determination as the undo of the determination. I prefer all such things should be better implemented in JavaScript.

My colleague thought BACKSPACE and DEL are so fundamental to consider it as "typing". The text input control in every OS supports them by default.

So maybe the different view is whether cE=typing is really about typing, or is the goal similar to plain text input control.

IIUC, the TF has not come to conclusion on this question yet?

/koji