RE: execCommand and contenteditable=typeing (was Re: Only Text Input and Intention Events

I could go either way. I opened https://github.com/w3c/editing-explainer/issues/33 for this.

From: Olivier Forget [mailto:teleclimber@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 1:46 PM
To: Ben Peters
Cc: Frederico Knabben; Koji Ishii; Johannes Wilm; public-editing-tf
Subject: Re: execCommand and contenteditable=typeing (was Re: Only Text Input and Intention Events

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Ben Peters <Ben.Peters@microsoft.com<mailto:Ben.Peters@microsoft.com>> wrote:
What is the advantage of an API not working in cE=typing? If you don’t want it to work on your site, just don’t call it. Am I missing something?

I don't mind if the API stays, but the cE=typing spec has to make it abundantly super clear that the UA should not execute any exec Commands by default. (Example Ctrl-B does not trigger the bold command, even if the intent event is not canceled.)

On the flip side, we certainly don't want to spec the exact behavior of execCommand, so it will behave with its cE=true mentality, which is the antithesis of cE=typing. This could muddle the true purpose of cE=typing. Would it be better to neutralize execCommand so that editor devs get the message that they are intended to write their own commands?