Re: Default Caret and Selection Positioning Spec?

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 1:48 AM, Frederico Knabben <f.knabben@cksource.com>
wrote:

>  On Tuesday, 9 December 2014 at 11:25, Johannes Wilm wrote:
>
> * Caret movement direction - from inside or from outside. E.g.:
>
> <b>ab|c</b>de -> ARROW-RIGHT
> <b>abc|</b>de -> ARROW-RIGHT
> <b>abc</b>d|e
>
> <b>abc</b>d|e -> ARROW-LEFT
> <b>abc</b>|de -> ARROW-LEFT
> <b>ab|c</b>de
>

> Ok, wouldn't this mean in the second example of each that new content
> being added to the inline element or not depends which arrow key was
> pressed previously?
>
> No, it doesn’t depend on which key, but on where I was before the caret
> move. If I was outside, I stay outside. If I was inside, I stay inside.
>
> On the GitHub issue we had the idea that the default behavior of cE=typing
should mimic long-established practices by legacy rich editors (Word,
Google docs, Mac TextEdit.) We figure these behaviors are what users
expect. Besides it will be far easier for us to come to an agreement by
copying existing practices than to come up with new and wonderful UI
patterns.

> This is the one and only way to give the possibility to the user to
> control where to insert the next character.
>
> In existing editors this is handled by giving the user the ability to
"turn off" a style via the UI or keyboard combination.

> Couldn't this lead to confusion when the user doesn't know which arrow key
> was pressed last?
>
> There is a chance for it to happen, but the confusion is already there in
> any case, because the user will never be sure if s/he’s inside or outside
> the style. The proposed feature doesn’t make it worst.
>
> I think that it does make it worse because it breaks an existing UI
pattern.