Re: Only Text Input and Intention Events

Well, and the lack of specs on how caret movement is to be handled. I have
filed numerous bug reports with several of the browsers, and sent emails,
etc., and the most common answer is that given that nothing can be done as
long as there is no spec on this. In the case of contenteditable, for me
the issue about the caret not being able to move certain places is the
single most annoying item which is the main reason something has to be done
in the field of contenteditable. Just about everything else one can work
around, but getting around this requires the app developer to draw his own
caret and give up on contenteditable entirely.

The selection API currently doesn't say anything about caret movement as
far as I can tell (@Oliver: Or maybe you read the selection Api spec
differently?). And maybe it shouldn't be in the selection API, as this will
only apply to contenteditable=true and contenteditable=typing. A second
document related to the selection app may therefore make most sense. I
don't care either way, as long as it goes into one document or the other.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 1:13 AM, Olivier Forget <teleclimber@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Ben Peters <Ben.Peters@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Olivier Forget <teleclimber@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Caveat: there are existing issues with setting selection at offset 0 of
>> text
>> > nodes, or in empty text nodes which become more pronounced if text nodes
>> > become so central to editing. Should we try to address these here?
>>
>> I'm not aware of these issues, but they should be solved. Can you file a
>> bug on Selection API for this?
>>
>> It appears the issues are with the way some browsers handle selections
> rather than the spec itself, at least as far as I can tell.

Fidus Writer
http://www.fiduswriter.org