Re: Conneg ttl files, PROF, and Normativity

If the cnpr .ttl is not normative, what does that mean for the status of
properties listed in the document, which are in a normative section
defining conformance? See:[1] (Note that DCAT lists normative and
non-normative namespaces, and the dcat: namespace is normative.) Is
there a way to say that the properties are normative but the .ttl file
is informative? That would provide a resolution.

Thanks,

kc
[1] https://w3c.github.io/dxwg/dcat/#vocabulary-specification

On 10/8/19 1:01 PM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> nope - just a non-normative description - nothing is dependent...
>

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 06:26, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net
> <mailto:kcoyle@kcoyle.net>> wrote:
>
>     All -
>
>     There are two Conneg .ttl files. One is for the Alternate Representation
>     Data Model (Section A.2). [1] This is an OWL ontology and states its
>     path as <http://www.w3.org/ns/dx/conneg/altp>.
>
>     Another is the profiles.ttl [2] which gives its path as
>
>     @prefix cnpr: <http://www.w3.org/ns/dx/conneg/profile/>
>
>     This latter vocabulary has subclass dependencies on PROF, and uses PROF
>     for the description of functional profiles of Conneg, such as:
>
>     cnpr:http a prof:Profile ;
>         prof:isProfileOf <https://www.w3.org/TR/dx-prof-conneg/> ;
>
>     The "cnpr" properties are defined in Section 7.2 on functional profiles,
>     which is normative.[3] In it, if I understand correctly, PROF is being
>     used to define the functional profiles as profiles of conneg.
>
>     I wonder if we don't have the same issue that we had with other uses of
>     PROF in normative areas - that as a note, PROF is somewhat shaky as a
>     dependency for a normative vocabulary. It does seem that the functional
>     profiles are even more deeply integrated with PROF than the elements I
>     noted in a previous email.[4] Could the normative areas of Conneg and
>     PROF be entirely separated and Conneg still have functional profiles?
>     (Note: I do NOT know how W3C views vocabularies that are used in
>     normative areas of a recommendation - that is, whether they must also be
>     normative.)
>
>     Again, the issue is that passage of Conneg to CR may be at risk if
>     normative functions depend on a vocabulary that is not at a final stage
>     of development. I hope DaveR and Philippe can advise re the W3C
>     viewpoint. Thanks.
>
>     kc
>
>     [1] https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/blob/gh-pages/conneg-by-ap/altr.ttl
>     [2] https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/blob/gh-pages/conneg-by-ap/profiles.ttl