Re: [dxwg] Generalise diagrams (#826)

Taking this out of the PR thread.

Nick, I was looking further into the diagrams in PROF, and here's what I
think would work:

a) For the first diagram,[1] limit the diagram to PROF classes and their
superclasses (including those outside of prof). This would give an
overview of prof. Do not include any properties. It will be brief.

and also

b) Create a full diagram (similar to the ORG diagram)[2] with all
classes and properties used by PROF.

I suggest to use standard UML formatting, simply because that is what
people will find familiar. (I was hoping to get a Protege frames diagram
but couldn't get P to take the PROF vocab - probably due to namespace
issues. So I don't know what that looks like and if it would be better
for OWL vocabs.)

Where I see problems in the first diagram today is that it has SOME
classes and SOME properties, but not all, and it therefore isn't clear
what it represents. There may be a logic, but it's hard to discern.

Once these two are available people can review and let you know if they
see other issues. I am still concerned about the issue of declaring both
a subclass and a range to the same class, but I see that is also the
case in the ORG diagram so perhaps there is no way to avoid that when
using UML for RDF/OWL.

Thanks,

kc
[1] https://w3c.github.io/dxwg/prof/#conceptualmodel
[2] https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/826#issuecomment-557721594

On 11/22/19 11:43 PM, Karen Coyle via GitHub wrote:
> @nicholascar ADMS is a UML diagram that shows classes and attributes.
> Either do an RDF graph diagram or a UML class diagram. This diagram is
> neither.
> Yes, the key indicates that rectangles are literals, but that still
> doesn't explain why that is the only value shown. If "has token" ->
> xsd:token then "has artifact" -> xsd:anyURI, etc. It's the inconsistency
> here that makes the diagram inherently illogical.
> Also, the use of dct:Standard here causes me problems. First it shows
> that the profile class is a subclass of the dct:Standard class. Then it
> says that the profile is a profile of an rdf:Resource that happens to be
> a dct:Standard. The profile is not a profile of the class dct:Standard,
> but of an instance of that class. So there is one box that is both a
> class and an instance, and I have trouble seeing it as both. If
> dct:Standard is a class, and not an instance of a class, then you can
> have prof:Profile (an instance of that class) that is a subclass of
> dct:Standard, and rdf:Resource, that is an instance of dct:Standard, and
> prof:Profile that is a profile of that rdf:Resource (and, also, can be a
> profile of a prof:Profile, which isn't shown here).
> As for dct:format, there is a separate issue for that: #769 with a
> diagram at
> https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/769#issuecomment-469287460. And
> probably discussed elsewhere as well.

skype: kcoylenet