Advanced Notification (and minutes of DCAT sub-group call 2019.05.01)

Minutes can be found here : https://www.w3.org/2019/05/01-dxwgdcat-minutes

The meeting made good progress on  agreeing a one addition to the spec, and on one critical outstanding issue (see minutes for details)

We also discussed what we need to do next, since we are very close to having cleared the critical (for PR) issues outstanding against the spec.

I'd like to use this note as advance notification to the WG as a whole that we plan to follow the following procedure:

1. The DCAT sub-group (which is simply an open group of WG members particularly interested in the DCAT spec - anyone from the WG can attend) will meet in the usual timeslot next week.  On the agenda will be consideration of whether we have an Editors Draft (ED) that we can recommend to the plenary as a Proposed Recommendation.  At this stage  it's not obvious what the consensus will be - holidays and other commitments across the working group have made the last few weeks a bit disconnected and we do still have some issues to address, but we now believe we are fairly close.

2.  If the DCAT sub-group does agree that we have a potential PR then we'll make that recommendation to the Plenary.  All WG members will have the opportunity to be heard on that - indeed  I believe W3 process requires the WG to vote before starting the PR process.

3. If we believe the ED needs further work we will prioritise/assign the relevant tasks as best we can and go from there.

As has been previously discussed a number of times in plenary, the WG has been guided to use a 'time-boxed' approach (since the requirements list will always extend) so there will still be requirements and use cases which haven't been addressed (or could be addressed more fully).  These will be gathered in github (some already assigned to the 'Future Work' milestone(https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/milestone/15) as input to future work beyond DCAT v2 however that is organised.

What we need from WG members:

1.  The sub-group can only make decisions based on the requirements and issues in github (https://github.com/w3c/dxwg).  If any WG members believe a critical issue (critical for this version of the rec) has been overlooked then we really need you to make that clear in github (or by email to this mailing list if you're not comfortable using github).  If using github, then please tag the issue as "critical" and "dcat" (as well as any other tags you think relevant).

2. While the ED will change a little between now and the middle of next week, we encourage WG members to take a fresh look at the current ED (https://w3c.github.io/dxwg/dcat/) in advance of the formal plenary review, especially if they haven't looked at it as a whole recently.   If there are any questions or you spot something that you think needs to change then please raise an issue in github

Just to be clear: the formal decision point here will be a WG-wide vote that we have a document that will go forward as a PR, and everyone will have a chance to participate.  These steps listed here are really to help the editors plan any final key work that must be done and to help make that decision process go smoothly.

Thanks for your assistance

David Browning
Platform Architect, Refinitiv