Re: [dxwg] List profiles for dynamic resources (#785)

From: Lars G. Svensson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 10:50:59 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work. [RFC 8288 §4.2](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8288#section-4.2) says that the definitions of the link relation types are in the [IANA link relation type registry](https://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml). In this registry the definition of "alternate" is taken from the [HTML 5 spec §4.8.6.1](https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/links.html#link-type-alternate) that says "The keyword \[alternate] creates a hyperlink referencing an alternate representation of the current document." I think it's a long stretch to say that we can use the same URI for the "self" relation and the "alternate" relation since that would imply that a resource is an alternate representation of itself.
Maybe @mnot as author of RFC 8288 can give some perspective on this.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by larsgsvensson
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/785#issuecomment-469634819 using your GitHub account