Re: Do we really need a notion of profile "conformance"?

Hi Tom, all,

I believe that the group has already expressed its discomfort with the IETF definition, as it was considered when we had our (very long) discussion that has lead to the current definition DXWG [1] and was not kept. As much as I'm ok adapting this DXWG definition (and I may suggest it in a short while) I would rather want to avoid reviving the entire discussion. In particular I like very much the notion of 'specification' rather than 'document'.
'document' points to a rather concrete instance of a profile, while 'specification' is more conceptual, and allows to to group things together. For example, 'specification' allows me to consider the Europeana Data Model as a specification that can be detailed in an XML Schema, an RDFS/OWL document, or a SHACL represention. If we jump straight to the definition, then all the 'instanciations' of the Europeana Data Model would live in splendid isolation. There are many more downsides to focusing on 'documents' but this one seems a major showstopper to me.

DCAT mentions 'specification' too [2]. In fact I believe that if DCAT doesn't cite the DXWG definition but it's more close to it than the one of IETF. And I believe it's not far at all. But this requires a unifying approach to profiles, which I am trying to articulate (and have started to write) but which I'll probably fail to send before the call.
By the way DCAT does rely on a notion of conformance: "A data catalog that conforms to the profile also conforms to DCAT." And this is where it becomes closer to the DXWG, as it hints that profiles are chiefly based on "Additional constraints in a profile".
And of course the Profile Negotiation document has conformance in plenty places [3]. So we'll probably need to articulate something on this. I'll try to hook something in what I'm trying to write...

Best

Antoine

[1] https://www.w3.org/2017/dxwg/wiki/ProfileContext#Definitions_of_Profile.2C_Application_Profile.2C_Metadata_Application_Profile
[2] https://w3c.github.io/dxwg/dcat/#conformance