Re: [dxwg] Harmonization with ISO/IEC concepts (#722)

From: Stephen Richard via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 17:52:26 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
I agree this spec needs to be clear about what 'standard' means, and the term should be used consistently.  The Dublin Core definition, in essence, says 'a standard is a basis or a point', neither of which is clear that the intention is 'a standard is a type' or that 'type' means 'concept'.
Perhaps some language harmonizing @kcoyle definition with ISO: 'in the context of this specification, a standard is a set of concepts that provides rules, guidelines or characteristics for activities or their results'.  I'd suggest adding qualifiers along the lines of 'widely used in a community and accepted as best practice' (a pragmatic approach) or 'established by consensus and approved by a recognized body' (more aligned with ISO concept).

--
GitHub Notification of comment by smrgeoinfo
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/722#issuecomment-459440730 using your GitHub account