Re: [dxwg] DataService and DataDistributionService (#432)

From: Andrea Perego via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 15:48:14 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@agreiner , just to be sure, your proposal would then be to keep just dcat:DataService and drop dcat:DataDistributionService?

On a different note:

> For my money, the real difference is not the type of dataset but the fact that an API is intended for programmatic use and a discovery service is intended for human use through a user agent.

There's also the use case of using a discovery service (as an OAI-PMH or CSW endpoint, or the CKAN API) for metadata harvesting and for other machine-to-machine operations.

About services vs APIs, personally, I find it difficult to tell them apart.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by andrea-perego
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/432#issuecomment-453757666 using your GitHub account