Re: ACTION on ALL - FPWDs

Accepting that this is ultimately the decision of the W3C, it seems
appropriate to me to pass the document as is, and we can quickly update
namespaces if required in the publication process.

Whichever way we fall on this will be a little work that needs to be done,
so the namespaces issue will remain open.

The nub of the issue is this:

1) We have been motivated to look at profiles from the perspective of DX
2) The concept of profiles we need however is not limited to DX
applications - it is more general
3) there is no alternative, general, concept we have located
4) The profiles ontology is suitable for, but not limited by, DX scope
5) The abstract discussion originally proposed for the profiles ontology
has undergone "scope narrowing" around DX examples in order to get it "over
the line" within the understanding of the DXWG community.
6) The evidence is that ontologies defined for narrower scopes that meet a
need for a wider audience tend to get used that way regardless of initial
intent, if they are the sole option available. (c.f. DCAT  being used for
services)
7) We dont have time, resources or mandate to develop detailed examples
outside the DX scope.

So W3 would appear to have a choices:

1)  Adopt the general scope, (/ns/prof namespace) and request DXWG to
include an ISSUE around ensuring description in future drafts treat DX as a
specific case, not a limiting case.
2) constrain scope to DX and provide guidance we can include in text and
model documentation for readers to discover how more general application of
the concepts of profiles should be addressed outside the DX scope.
3) Repeat the "arbitrary narrow scope and establish future WG to broaden
scope" process, and fined a way to deal with governance and communications
challenges of managing the /dx/ namespace in a different non-dx context
4) Some other approach?

my own preference, thinking about the long term effects of decisions, would
be #1, but I'll follow the directions decided through the W3C and consensus
processes.

Rob A