Re: [dxwg] Example of catalogued service

From: Simon Cox via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 09:05:21 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
1. Concerning service class specialization:

- The case *against* is (i) unnecessary proliferation of classes in DCAT, perhaps in a too-deep subsumption hierarchy (ii) lack of completeness, which is easily fixed with an extensible list of types.

- The case *for* is (i) we already know a lot about 2 or 3 types (discovery, portrayal, download), the first and last of which are pretty central to a data cataloguing system (ii) at least for `DataDistributionService` it has some properties and associations that other services don't. So if we are primarily modeling using RDFS with a bit of OWL then we need classes to attach the axioms to. If we model using a shapes language, then we will need a shape for every different class anyway. So I lean towards including the ones we knwo about, and making it clear that this is not intended to be an exhaustive set.

2. AFAICT the current `dcat:Catalog` is essentially a list of datasets and catalog-records - i.e. it is a kind of 'dataset', as discussed at the last telecon. That probably means that a `DiscoveryService` is (i) a specialization of `DataDistributionService` where the dataset served is a catalog, (ii) possibly something else as well.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/237#issuecomment-390597071 using your GitHub account