RE: Beginning Guidance deliverable

Dear Rob, all,

A couple of considerations, reflecting some thoughts following the profile discussion during the f2f.

We have to aspects that it may be worth addressing separately in the guidance doc:

1. Profile definition: This concerns the definition of the constraints / restrictions of a profile, and can be done by using "profile languages" (as the DC Singapore Framework, SHACL, ShEx, etc.).

2. Profile description: This is basically metadata about profiles, specifying which are the parent profile(s), linking to the (possibly different) profile definitions + other information.

The profile definition is not meant to be RDF-centric, and actually does not even require a formal, machine-actionable definition (although it would be desirable, whenever possible). We are not going to define a new profile language, but possibly to provide guidance on how to use existing ones, depending on what you need (e.g., profile definition, validation, form generation).

On the other hand, the profile description is likely to be RDF-centric, although it could be used to provide metadata about any type of profiles – not necessarily based on RDF. If I got it right, the profile guidance document is also going to explain why a profile description is needed / useful, and for which use cases.

Now, looking at the related requirements, two of the motivations are (a) being able to make use of the profile relationships for identifying inheritance, conformance, etc., and (b) being able to discover profiles.

The profiledesc vocabulary is addressing point (a). However, about point (b), I think it would be important to provide guidance on how to use existing vocabularies for describing schemas, vocabularies, ontologies - as ADMS (which has been specifically designed for this purpose) and VOAF (http://lov.okfn.org/vocommons/voaf/) -, and complement them with the profiledesc vocabulary. This will explain how existing ADMS and VOAF records about profiles could be extended accordingly, instead of being obliged to create new records.

Notably, ADMS and VOAF have properties that could turn to be useful also for point (a) – as adms:representationTechnique, to specify the language used in a profile definition, and, from VOAF, properties as voaf:reliesOn, voaf:extends, voaf:specializes, voaf:generalizes that can be used to specify relationships with the parent profile(s).

Does this make sense to you?

Cheers,

Andrea

----

Andrea Perego, Ph.D.

Scientific / Technical Project Officer

European Commission DG JRC

Directorate B - Growth and Innovation

Unit B6 - Digital Economy

Via E. Fermi, 2749 - TP 262

21027 Ispra VA, Italy

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/

----

The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may

not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official

position of the European Commission.