Re: Definitions page for Profiles

Hi Max,

On 10/01/18 09:37, mail@makxdekkers.com wrote:
> Antoine,
>
> Is your proposal to relax the rule on not defining new terms inside a profile based on an existing case, or is it more of a theoretical consideration? Do you have an example of application designers complaining about this separation between namespace and profile? It's a rule that, as far as I know, is quite general, at least in environments that I know of. Changing the rule would need to be in response to actual problems.

I don't have any complaints, rather cases of people just doing it. E.g. for the Europeana Data Model, there could be an "EDM Fashion profile" or a "DM2E EDM profile" and these may include elements from own namespace. Yet they refer to them as profiles.

> Your suggestion that a namespace could also include constraints means that both can then contain definitions of new terms and constraints, so they become more or less indistinguishable. Is that the intention?

Yes. And again it's not a strong theoretical stance, just an observation that these things may happen. I.e. definitions of terms in OWL may include constraints (for all the shortcomings OWL has wrt. expressing constraints, it does manage to express a couple of them and these appear in OWL ontologies). Once this can happen, the line is fairly hard to draw - at least if one wants to base it only on the notion of what a constraint is or is not.

Antoine