FW: W3C Data Exchange WG Use Cases - comments please

Hi all,

Here is some feedback on our Use Cases from the catalogue manager of the Australian National Data Services.

Nick

From: Melanie Barlow <melanie.barlow@ands.org.au>
Date: Thursday, 22 February 2018 at 10:57 am
To: Nicholas Car <Nicholas.Car@csiro.au>
Cc: Melanie Barlow <melanie.barlow@ands.org.au>
Subject: Re: W3C Data Exchange WG Use Cases - comments please

Hi Nick,

Thank you for passing this on to me.  It's great to see this initiative and its apparent support and momentum.

That is quite a list of use cases.  The items that occur most frequently to us appear to be addressed, for examples, things like:

- sufficient and sufficiently granular citation information

- ability to discover resources by funder or grant (consider purls for Activity records within the RDA Activity Portal)

- resource types expanded to include software etc, taking guidance from existing vocabs

- ability to connect to provenance information, so that where it exists, use-cases can be satisfied by interrogation of the prov rather than being limited by the extent of population of the DCAT - for example, the use-case of seeking which datasets are derived from a particular dataset can be satisfied by analysing the provenance info linked to the particular dataset's description.

- sufficient information regarding service protocol and specific service function within distribution URL, e.g. 'OGC WMS' 'data-access'; or 'CustomAPI' 'data-access' and ability to link to CustomAPI documentation and or include enough parameter information for immediate use of the service.

There will certainly be things that occur to us as time goes on and as we see to what extent requirements are addressed.

Melanie

Melanie Barlow

Technical Analyst | Australian National Data Service
T: +61 2 6125 2537 |  E:  melanie.barlow@ands.org.au<mailto:melanie.barlow@ands.org.au> | W:  ands.org.au<http://ands.org.au/>

Physical address: 9 Liversidge Street, Australian National University, Acton, ACT 2601
Postal address: 101 Liversidge Street, Australian National University, Acton, ACT 2601

Working in partnership with Nectar and RDS<http://www.ands.org.au/about-us/ands-nectar-rds>

[https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B3DJMwLmgpcORmdDRTVxTnVLNDQ&revid=0B3DJMwLmgpcOekdTbWdDNFdvUDkvU2kvWWd5Rmt2U3U1MU00PQ]