Re: [dxwg] dcat:mediaType - check constraints

The range of the property of dcat:mediaType has been a source of confusion
in the DCAT specification, as the basic example section 4.1 shows the
dcat:mediaType modeling the MIME type as a string, but the spec defining
the range as dct:MediaTypeOrExtent  and as a subproperty of dct:format.  As
a consequence of this confusion, we see two forms of encoding the mime type
today in the industry. Project Open Data specification (which is based on
DCAT) defines the dcat:mediaType range as a string (
https://project-open-data.cio.gov/v1.1/schema/#distribution-mediaType).

I think dcat:mediaType range should be defined as a string (because it is
simple and already used out there) and we should keep dct:format to capture
format information as an object (Shape, GeoJSON, CSV, GeoPDF, GML, XSLT) ,
which can also provide information about version, etc.  This should also
not make dcat:mediaType as subproperty of  dct:format. The updated
specification needs to address this ambiguity by having a clear description
of their usage.

--
Stephane Fellah
Chief  Knowledge Scientist