Re: Agenda February 6 -- profile definition

IMHO there is no value in arbitrarily restricting the definition - it adds
noise and simply makes it harder for "our" profile needs to be integrated
into wider systems - why should an enterprise not simultaneously wish to
specify a profile of a data structure in dcat:Distributions and aslo
specify a profile of a programming language - such as requiring OWL models
provided as part of the metadata for thos distributions to be expressed in
OWL-DL.  It just makes a lot of work for us to try to enumerate all the
inclusions and exclusions in scope, with no end value in terms of our
ability to express useful semantics.

I would suggest we only restrict scope where we find an example in some
other scope that explicitly invalidates a model we find useful, until then
lets leave it alone. (We have a range of legacy issues, as far as I
understand, because of over-restrictive assumptions about scope of DCAT,
which we now have work to relax, so lets avoid repeating this.)

I also think "vocabularies" is a very problematic term - many in the W3C
semantic tradition think this means specific namespace documents for RDF.

most of the world would think of it as a much broader concept - with
different impllications - being a managed set of terms. SKOS Concept
Schemes is a thus a closer fit than a "namespace document", which can be
seen as a special case - (noting many implementations provide a SKOS view
of model terminology - see also
https://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/skos-and-owl/master.html#Going1) .

SKOS binding is used by RDF-QB which actually has a mechanism to make
structural constraints around vocabularies used.

What candidates for vocabulary usage constraints do we have (particularly
in the W3C canon?) Starters:
1) OWL owl:allValuesFrom, owl:someValuesFrom, owl:hasValue
2) rdfs:range constraints (to class models)
3) RDF-QB - SKOS binding semantics
4)  what else ? nothing obvious leaps out from browsing discussions about
SKOS and OWL...

The definition of profile would support all of these, and they can happily
co-exist, noting that OWL and RDFS are very high bars for providing and
interpreting vocabularies as formal models , whereas RDF-QB actually simply
entails that a given object reference can be viewed as a skos:ConceptScheme.

Again, the plea is for concrete examples where potential problems are
references, because words are so context dependent and ambiguous.

Rob