Re: [dxwg] Profiles are "named collections of properties" or metadata terms (if not RDF) [ID41] (5.41) (#275)

From: kcoyle via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 23:20:24 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
I very much agree about "properties" and am struggling to find a better word or phrase:

- vocabulary terms (which could include classes)
- data elements (rather old-fashioned but could also include classes)
- data terms (Singapore framework uses "metadata terms" - "data terms" sounds odd to me)
- elements from selected vocabularies or ontologies - longer, but also doesn't address whether one can define new elements with in vocabulary, which also has come up in the past.

I get the desire to speak of "data" as well as "metadata" but I wouldn't want to confound a profile with the instance data in a dataset, such as statistical data. The profile is not instance data (except of the profile itself, but that seems tautological), but a set of terms and constraints that are used to create instance data that usually has a descriptive role.

Maybe we need to define data and metadata?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/275#issuecomment-448784679 using your GitHub account