Re: New action on UCR group / Proposal for requirement numbering

 Dear Karen, dear all,

 there were some discussions on the numbering approach for requirements, among others:

  1) continuous index: R1 ... RN:
  PROS:
 - straightforward
  CONS:
  - possibly high index numbers, potential for mistakes
  - absolute index prevents distributed work (editors rely on mutual changes of single shared index)
  - purely numerical index, no relation among items

 2) discrete index groups based on requirement's topic: RVers1 ... RVersN, RProv1 ... RProvN

 This approach involve the following steps:

 a) for each requirement identify a topic / main tag, e.g. "version". The assumption here is, that there should be at least
 one such tag (otherwise to be create) and there a requirement should be focused enough to map naturally to a single one

 b) create ID using tag's mnemonic abbreviation and current index: "RVers2". The index increments by group, not globally

 PROS:
 - easy to maintain small, "local" index
 - distributed work possible
 - items are naturally related
 - makes use of and evaluates tagging
 CONS:
 - requires to decide on requirements main topic (which is indeed o.k.)

 Personally I am in favor of option 2) and provided a sample numbering of the whole requirement set here:

      https://rawgit.com/jpullmann/dxwg/gh-pages/ucr/index.html

 The example surely needs polishing but is stable enough to ask for discussion of this approach in our next telcon.

     Best regards
   Jaro

--
Jaroslav Pullmann
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT