RE: Requirements for profiles

I am not entirely sure how this fit in the discussion here, but the European DCAT-AP profile does cover value vocabularies. For example, it says that for the values of dcat:theme a conformant implementation MUST use a value from the Publications Office MDR Data theme NAL (http://publications.europa.eu/mdr/authority/data-theme/).

Would that still be in your definition of a ‘profiled property’ or would this be a different kind of profile?

Makx.

From: Rob Atkinson [mailto:rob@metalinkage.com.au]
Sent: 22 November 2017 04:00
To: kcoyle@kcoyle.net
Cc: Rob Atkinson <rob@metalinkage.com.au>; Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>; public-dxwg-wg@w3.org; Valentine Charles <valentine.charles@europeana.eu>
Subject: Re: Requirements for profiles

+1

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 at 12:09 Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net <mailto:kcoyle@kcoyle.net> > wrote:

OK, so it seems that what I was called "vocabularies" you are calling
"profiled properties" and I think yours is the better term. So we are
saying that a profile defines a set of properties (and perhaps also
classes, in the RDF sense).* I'm not sure what a "type ontology" is,
though.

Also, a profile may use properties from a number of different
ontologies/namespaces, not leaning especially on any one. Sometimes
profiles are specializations of a particular ontology or community
metadata standard, but sometimes they are bits and pieces that don't
lean on any base set. If I combine dct:title and foaf:name and
georef:place (I'm making this up) the end result can be a profile. On
the other hand the DPLA "modified EDM" is a profile based on EDM,
perhaps extended or restricted. These two examples show that profiles
can have different relations to one or more base vocabularies.

* I once again would like folks to look at the technology stack of the
Singapore Framework [1] which may be compatible with the statement that
a "profile defines a set of additional structural and constraints and/or
semantic interpretations that can apply to a given document on top of
that document's media type." If the Framework doesn't have the same
sense as the quote, perhaps we can clarify the differences. And
eventually I would like to talk about the concept of description sets
[2] which is the DCMI view of profiles.

kc
[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/singapore-framework/
And this is a shortcut to the diagram, which may be the most useful
part:
http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/01/14/singapore-framework/singapore-framework.png
[2] http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-dsp/ however some of the details
pre-date general acceptance of RDF and need to change, so don't get hung
up on how the lower levels of the model are defined