Re: Requirements for profiles

"composition" is ill defined in this context.

multiple inheritance - for example Java classes implementing multiple
interfaces, each of which may have a subclass hierarchy, is common, and
useful.

All DCAT needs to do is to allow a dataset to declare conformance with
multiple profiles. The process of "combining" these may be as simple as two
separate validation rules - but note that validation will need to be on a
distribution, so the dataset may conform to profiles of standards, but the
distributions may define the specific implementation profiles, such as
schemas or shapes they implement.

So there is a little bit of semantics required to relate profiles of a
dataset with profiles of a distribution. i.e. the profiles a distribution
conforms to would be the union of the set of profiles declared for the
distribution and the set of profiles delcared for the dataset.

DCAT records themselves may form part of a distribution of a catalog - a
type of Dataset - so the same rules apply - doesnt change anything - DCAT
profiles are merely examples, and how complex they are and how we combine
them is a separate issue around our choice of formalism for the profile. At
the moment we have low level of formalism - multiple profiles expressed as
documents and no way to compare or combine theme.

So if we want to suggest a recommend formalism - which may be for example a
document and one or more SHACL constraints - but also allow for other
formalisms to be used - then the expressiveness and opportunities for
automated combination logic can be improved.

Previously i did some work combining profiles expressed using RDF-Datacube
- and found that a) it was easy enough to combine these, b) sometimes you
just have to flag that two constraints on the same data element exist and
the semantics need to be checked.

for example, if you have a dimension for "sensor type"  that you declare
the Range to be a "TemperatureSensor" and a profile that requires use of a
specific sensor, then you just need to check that this sensor type is
indeed a "TemperatureSensor" - and can add an axiom to declare this if you
wish.

Where we stand now,  without a predictable way to attach profile
descriptions, is a lot of out-of-band documentation that needs to be read
to even identify this is a concern that needs validating.

So in summary, we just need to work out what we need to say for our
existing evidence of a hiearchary of related DCAT application profiles, and
ideally use the W3C canon to define formalisms for these constraints, and
the semantics of combination.

We dont even need to show they can be combined - beyond independent
validation against each profile, however it is probably better to show they
can be easily combined for convenience and to identify at design time
constraints that may possibly conflict.  (BTW I'm happy to provide an
implemention for that combination logic).

Rob