Re: Requirements for profiles

From: Ruben Verborgh <Ruben.Verborgh@UGent.be>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:26:50 +0000
To: "kcoyle@kcoyle.net" <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
CC: "public-dxwg-wg@w3.org" <public-dxwg-wg@w3.org>
Hi Karen,

> Ruben, I think this is a variant view of profiles, so we should discuss
> it as a group. The APs that exist today for DCAT are complete
> descriptions of all of the elements of a metadata schema.

Just a reminder that there is a difference
between "profile" in the generic sense,
and "DCAT profile" in the specific sense.

So there is no contradiction, as I was talking about generic profiles.

Also, not all profiles have to be "combinable",
so it is fine if DCAT profiles are not.

> As I read them
> they cannot be combined as they are, nor can parts or fragments be
> combined as new profiles because they haven't been designed to be
> uniformly combinable. That is an interesting interpretation but not one
> that we have yet as a requirement.

We should, I think. It follows from 5.3.

Best,

Ruben