Re: Requirements for profiles

From: Ruben Verborgh <Ruben.Verborgh@UGent.be>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 15:30:09 +0000
To: "kcoyle@kcoyle.net" <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
CC: "public-dxwg-wg@w3.org" <public-dxwg-wg@w3.org>
Hi Karen,

> Not sure what you mean by "composed."

Maybe I should have just said "combination",
but I meant using multiple profiles in conjunction.
Example:
 Profile A: "use FOAF to describe people"
 Profile B: "use Schema.org to describe books"

When a representation does both of the above,
then it conforms to both profiles
and we essentially have a composition of profiles A and B.

> conformance to multiple profiles is a function of
> the service that is determining "conformance". The profiles are
> essentially inert in that process - they are being acted on.

Conformance isn't necessarily determined afterwards by a service.
A server could also just directly generate a conforming representation.

I'd say that the profile itself defines with conformance means,
regardless of the way to validate it.

> What isn't clear to me is the "response" part. What is doing the
> responding? or what is the nature of this thing called "response"?

This is in the context of an HTTP request and response.
A client sends an HTTP request to receive a representation of a resource.
The server responds with that representation.

So given a dataset, the server will respond with a representation
of that dataset that conforms to zero or more profiles.

Best,

Ruben