RE: Profile definition

Assume you are already aware of https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/dcat_application_profile/home

which I think is where the whole idea of DCAT profiles was most comprehensively discussed until now.

Simon

From: Rob Atkinson [mailto:rob@metalinkage.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 June, 2017 12:35
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
Subject: Profile definition

Looking for a working definition of a profile - here's a starter from Dublin Core [1]

"A DCAP is a document (or set of documents) that specifies and describes the metadata used in a particular application. To accomplish this, a profile:

  *   describes what a community wants to accomplish with its application (Functional Requirements);
  *   characterizes the types of things described by the metadata and their relationships (Domain Model);
  *   enumerates the metadata terms to be used and the rules for their use (Description Set Profile and Usage Guidelines); and
  *   defines the machine syntax that will be used to encode the data (Syntax Guidelines and Data Formats)."

I think service access is possibly another dimension of profile - and in fact I'd like to model profiles as n-dimensional, with the ability to label (soft-type) each of the dimensions an AP chooses to qualify.

So, even though we are not going to define any specific AP, I think we need to decide if we will define a meta-model for an AP, in terms of attachment points for each of these aspects, as well as self-reporting identification of the set of APs a document conforms to.

Any advances on this definition  before I have a go at defining generic Use Case(s) that covers this scope?

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/profile-guidelines/#sect-2