Re: AW: Requirements for profiles

Lars, I've been looking at DSP and ShEx. Something that is missing from
DSP is any ability to define relationships between elements. This is the
bulk, however, of what SHACL and ShEx provide. So a simple ShEx statement:

my:UserShape {
  (
     foaf:name LITERAL

      foaf:givenName LITERAL+;
      foaf:familyName LITERAL
  );
  foaf:mbox IRI
}

which includes: "either a foaf:name OR (a foaf:givenName AND a
foaf:familyName)"

is not something that either the DSP nor the tables of CSVW can express.
And that is one of the simpler cases that SHACL and ShEx are designed to
handle.

One solution could be to use either SHACL or ShEx to express profiles.
The down side of that is the human-readability/creatability factor,
since both of these are complex executable code that are good at the
detail of a profile but are hard to read for the macro data structure
(which DSP aims at). If we can at least bridge the gap that would turn
either of those into documentation that people can be comfortable with,
that would take us quite a ways.

kc