RE: W3C Profiles Ontology First Public Working Draft - comments sought - ARDC

These are comments in reply to Melanie’s email from Rob Atkinson and Issues created by Nicholas Car.

Melanie said, regarding Content Negotiation By Profile - 7.2.2 get resource by profile:

I'm not sure whether this is possible with the current design, but it may be useful for clients to be able to 'get resource by profile' by a characteristic of the profile - for example, the more recently updated, or the fully/most compliant, or which uses a particular vocabulary, or something else maybe? This is for systems that can use more than one profile and are looking for the richest - where a resource is described in multiple profiles, but these are not dynamically updated from the authoritative source, or where particular vocabularies are of interest; a kind of helper-method to prevent the client having to go through each profile one by one to determine this?  Characteristics could be listed in order of preference as profile uri can be.

Rob’s Reply:

I think these can be supported by linking DCAT to profiles (via dct:conformsTo property on dcat:Distribution or dcat:Dataset) - then annotating the profile with appropriate properties.
(e.g. dublin core or others for times, VoiD for vocabulary usage (profiles itself only supports the specific usage case of refinement by constraints)

the responsibilities of the client are always a contract between the client and the metadata source about the closure of the metadata graph (how much the server decides to hold or access on the clients behalf) and the "shape" - the set of property paths (bits of possible graph) it will bundle.  So what you are really looking at I think is the case of defining profiles of DCAT for catalogs (that themselves contain profile descriptions) to meet these query requirements.

At this stage we dont have "qualified compliance" support - the semantics are "conforming to".  If you have a strong need to have a "measure of conformance" thats probably something for the DCAT sub-team to handle - but a response to this can be redirected to them :-)

Issue created: https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/753

Melanie said, regarding Content Negotiation By Profile - 7.2.1 list profiles:

Another way to help as per above is to have info in the response of 'list profiles' that can help in determining which one is preferred, and to be able to ask for such info.  For example, which profile is fully/most compliant, which is newest, what vocabs are used (this last one could help for example if you are seeking a resource with a particular vocab term within its profile)

Rob’s Reply:

as above - this is a function of the profile of DCAT + profiles a catalog supports.

We dont really deal with the metrics of preference - although we do potentially support it during content negotiation. I guess you would have service metadata containing this preference information from the server perspective, but mainly this would be a function of a catalog API able to sort results by a provided preference model, or a client effectively negotiating via a catalog by searching or ordering results by preference.

Issue for this taken to be 753 created for the point above.

Melanie said, regarding Profile Ontology:

When we have received a resource by a particular profile can we ask whether the populated profile complies with the profile specification? Or can we find, from the profile's description, uris to tools for checking compliance to that profile?

Rob’s Reply:

the latter - its up to the catalog to establish what data quality it enforces when it allows the assertion that a data set complies. the Profiles ontology allows any resource to be attached to a profile with a role description.  If you wanted to enumerate the roles you think you would want to see supported that would be useful when we decide what basic roles we canonically define - but you can make up your own at any time)

No Issue created as question answered within reply.

Melanie said, further to the point above:

If a resource is available in a profile that we don't usually deal with, can we find from the profile's description, uris of online resources available to convert it to another base schema?  For example, a resource is available in GA Profile but our system likes to interpret DCAT - can we find in the profile description (i.e. does the ontology include this?) a uri to a tool that converts from GA Profile to DCAT, and if that's not available, seek the base schema of the GA Profile (ISO19115-3) and from it, discovery a uri to a tool that converts from ISO19115-3 to DCAT (or many of them, each with their own metadata so that we can understand who created them and more).

Rob’s Reply:

yep - see above - its a potential role description for attached resources.  You would need further metadata to specify the target profile for transformations - unless you had two roles

Profile A - hasResource (role = transformFrom)  R

Profile B - hasResource (role = transformTo) R

ie. to find an XSLT

Select ?xsltfile
WHERE {
 ?p1 prof:hasResource ?r1 .
 ?r1 prof:hasRole myns:transformFrom ?p2 .
 ?r1 prof:hasArtifact ?xsltfile .
 ?r1 dct:conformsTo <uri of XSLT spec> .
 ?p2 prof:hasResource ?r2 .
 ?r2 prof:hasRole myns:transformTo ?p1 .
 ?r2 prof:hasArtifact ?xsltfile .
}

Issue created for an example: https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/754

Melanie said Extra:

I understand that this level of API has prerequisite that we know resource URIs, so perhaps we have already asked a server for all of its resource ids, (as with RESTful api) - it's useful then for such APIs that we can also ask:  get all resource ids of a particular profile, or ask for a list of resource ids per each profile, or something like this?

Rob’s Reply:

as above - thats a question for DCAT - however profiles allows you to also handle general and specific profiles

eg.

select ?dataset ?specificprofile ?generalprofile
WHERE
{
 ?dataset a dcat:Dataset .
 ?dataset dcat:distribution ?dd .
 ?dd dct:conformsTo  ?specificprofile   .
  OPTIONAL { ?specificprofile   prof:profileOf* ?generalprofile . }
}

No Issue created as question answered within reply.