Re: Last partially resolved comment DWBP

Thanks for spotting the errors in that How to test, Annette. I've
corrected it, at least, it now says what I intended. The text now says:

"Check that within the dataset, references to things that don't change
or that change slowly, such as countries, regions, organizations and
people, are referred to by URIs or by short identifiers that can be
appended to a URI stub. Ideally the URIs should resolve, however, they
have value as globally scoped variables whether they resolve or not."

Which makes no reference to the persistence of the URIs.

Is that OK??

I'm going offline imminently and heading for an airport so I'm afraid I
won't be able to be of any help for the remainder of the day.

Cheers

Phil.

On 13/05/2016 02:28, Annette Greiner wrote:
> I think it's okay. I was thinking it would be about fragments, but I
> guess it makes sense to use full-URI identifiers as well.
>
> Some edits to the how to test are needed, though. The first sentence is
> not actually a sentence (it has no verb). I'm not sure what the
> intention is, actually. Was the idea to check that certain things have
> persistent identifiers? Or just to check that URIs are used for such
> things? How do you test that an identifier is persistent? That would
> seem to be what's needed for the test, but the current test isn't about
> that.
>
> -Annette
>
> On 5/12/16 11:17 AM, Bernadette Farias Lóscio wrote:
>> Hi Annette,
>>
>> I'd like to discuss with you the following comment about "Persistent
>> URIs within datasets".
>>
>> "Much of the implementation section is about minting new URIs, which
>> is the subject of the previous BP. It is off topic here. Everything
>> from "If you can't find an existing set of identifiers that meet your
>> needs, you'll need to create your own" down to the end of the example
>> doesn't belong in a BP that is about using other people's identifiers. "
>>
>> We discussed this comment with Phil and he explained that the main
>> idea of the BP is the use of Persistent URIs rather than the reuse of
>> URI. This is the reason for explaining how to create persistent URIs
>> in the implementation section. I agree that there is some intersection
>> with the "Best Practice 10: Use persistent URIs as identifiers of
>> datasets", but BP11 is about identifiers within datasets.
>>
>> Given this, I'd like to ask you if you agree with keeping the
>> Implementation section of Best Practice 11: Use persistent URIs as
>> identifiers within datasets the way that it is now or do
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>> Berna
>>

>> --
>> Bernadette Farias Lóscio
>> Centro de Informática
>> Universidade Federal de Pernambuco - UFPE, Brazil

Phil Archer
W3C Data Activity Lead
http://www.w3.org/2013/data/

http://philarcher.org