Re: Updates on BP Provide data up to date and BP Make feedback available

Hi Bernadette,
Thanks for working on improving these two BPs. I took a look at what
you've done so far, and I still have some concerns about them. I'll
address the Up to Date BP first.

Intended Outcome
" New or updated data will be published to coincide with the update
frequency". It's not clear that you're talking about two different
things getting updated(the newly available data offline and the copy on
the web).

What do you think about this? "Data on the web will be updated in a
timely manner so that the most recent data available online generally
reflects the most recent data released via any other channel. When new
data becomes available, it will be published on the Web as soon as
practical thereafter."

Implementation
This needs a little editing. The differences between bulk access and an
API don't really work, because data can be provided in bulk through an
API, and the requirements are essentially the same for both. Here's a
suggestion:
" New versions of the dataset can be posted to the web on a regular
schedule, following the Best Practices for Data Versioning
<http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#dataVersioning>. Posting to the web
can be made a part of the release process for new versions of the data.
Making web publication a deliverable item in the process and assigning
an individual person as responsible for the task can help prevent data
becoming out of date. To set consumer expectations for updates going
forward, you can include human-readable text stating the expected
publication frequency, and you can provide machine-readable metadata
indicating the frequency as well."

Example
I like the example, but there is some new text that is problematic. "
The issue date (|dct:issued|) of the dataset can be used as the basis
for the creation of new versions." I don't know what you mean to say
with that. If you are making a new version, the original version will of
course be used as the basis of the new one, but that has little to do
with the issue date or with making sure the update frequency is
adequate. "It is important to note that new versions can be created when
necessary, however the publisher must ensure that the dataset will be
updated according to the predefined update frequency." This is another
example of the confusion between updating the available data and
updating the web publication. In the example RDF, the date for the
previous version is later than the date for the new version. I think you
mean to say "It is important to note that new versions can be created
sooner than the schedule calls for, but the publisher should ensure that
extra versions are published to the web as quickly as their scheduled
counterparts."

Test
The issue date would be the date the data are made available, but there
may be inordinate delay between issuing the data and posting it on the
web. I think you have to check that the update frequency is stated and
that the most recently published copy on the Web is no older than the
date predicted by the stated update frequency.

For the Feedback BP,

Subtitle
I think keeping the word "consumer" in there would be good.

Why
I think it should include the idea that publishers benefit from avoiding
duplicate bug reports, and that it also helps consumers understand any
issues that may affect their ability to use the data. For me, supporting
a collaborative environment or a feeling of community is not really what
I'm looking for, unless the site is one I plan to use frequently for
other reasons. If you need some words, how about "By sharing feedback
with consumers, publishers can demonstrate to users that their concerns
are being addressed, and they can avoid submission of duplicate bug
reports. Sharing feedback also helps consumers understand any issues
that may affect their ability to use the data, and it can foster a sense
of community among them."

Intended Outcome
This is better, but it's still not saying what I was hoping it would
say. How about this?

"Consumers will be able to assess the kinds of errors that affect the
dataset and be reassured that the publisher is actively addressing
issues as needed. Consumers will also be able to determine whether other
users have already provided similar feedback, saving them the trouble of
submitting unnecessary bug reports and sparing the maintainers from
having to deal with duplicates."

Test
I would say " Check that any feedback given by data consumers for a
specific dataset or distribution is publicly available. "

On 5/2/16 7:46 AM, Bernadette Farias Lóscio wrote:
> Hi Annette,
>
> As agreed in our discussions last week, I rewrote the following best
> practices:
> - Provide data up to date [1]
> - Make feedback available [2]
>
> The corresponding commits are [3] and [4]. If necessary, I can make
> new updates after having your feedback as well as the feedback from
> the rest of the group.
>
> Thanks!
> Bernadette
>
> [1] http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#AccessUptoDate
> [2] http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#FeedbackInformation
> [3]https://github.com/w3c/dwbp/commit/43ba83a77ecbcdd03d2e9066bedd5f7df482c2e4
> [4]
> https://github.com/w3c/dwbp/commit/72ff174f59e2cfe1b1dcda51b1f135daefef39ed
>

> --
> Bernadette Farias Lóscio
> Centro de Informática
> Universidade Federal de Pernambuco - UFPE, Brazil

Annette Greiner
NERSC Data and Analytics Services
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory