Re: Revised wording for Choose the right formalization level

Hi Phil and All,

Maybe I am too late to raise issues concerning this BP (BP16 - Choose the
right formalization level)... But there could be quick fixes, so, there we
go:

The following paragraph is not about the right level of formalization, but
about the scope of the vocabulary:

"Keeping things very simple is always attractive but there is a danger: the
drive for simplicity might lose some data that provides important
information, such as the geographical location of the bus stops that would
prevent showing them on a map."

The examples with SKOS is much better than this one with respect to the
kinds of formal constraints one may include or exclude from a vocabulary,
so perhaps the example about the geographical location of bus stops could
be suppressed altogether.

There is a statement which is technically incorrect in my view:
" using a complex vocabulary (ontology) will facilitate complex tasks such
as reasoning"

Actually, the relation between the "complexity" of the vocabulary and
reasoning is quite intricate. A more expressive formal theory may hamper
automated reasoning, e.g., by making it computationally untractable. A
quick fix could be:

" using a complex vocabulary (ontology) may serve as a basis for tasks such
as automated reasoning."

Finally, there is some text in this fragment which is quite hard to
understand. I don't think the line of reasoning is clear to the reader:

"If the nature of the data is such that the likely use is in a research
context where the fact that A, B and C are true, and that D is not true,
leads to the conclusion E, then something like an OWL Profile would clearly
be appropriate [OWL2-PROFILES].

But a list of bus stops is a list of bus stops."

regards,
João Paulo