More Comments on the 9 April version of the BP doc

And I realised I've not sent these yet...

#GatherFeedback
===============

I suggest the intended outcome can be:

Publishers will receive feedback about their data.

In a couple of places, this BP talks about registration. That may be OK
in some circumstances but if you have to register then the data isn't
open. That doesn't make it out of scope for us, but registration is an
anti-pattern for shared data.

This sentence:
feedback and use a vocabulary to capture the semantics of the feedback
information.</p>

Looks like a good place to cite the DUV, as in:

feedback and use a vocabulary to capture the semantics of the feedback
information. The Dataset Usage Vocabulary [[VOCAB-DUV]] provides a
mechanism to expose feedback in an ordered way.</p>

I know this is mentioned in the next BP but it won't hurt to mention it
again here.

#FeedbackInformation
====================

In sentences like "Making feedback about datasets and distributions
publicly available..." I don't think we need to mention distributions.
It's enough just to say "Making feedback about datasets publicly
available..."

A lot of that paragraph repeats what was in the intro material for this
section. Therefore I suggest it can be removed from the intro.

Intended outcome could be:

Enable the sharing of feedback given by different data consumers.

#EnrichData
===========
Again, there's a lot of info in the intended outcome that could go in
the main text. I'd do it this way:

unstructured data. Missing values can be filled in, and new attributes
and measures can be added. Publishing more complete datasets enhances
trust. Deriving additional values that are of general utility saves
users time and encourages more kinds of reuse. There are many
intelligent techniques that can be used to enrich data, making the
dataset an even more valuable asset.</p>
fill in those values. Additional relevant measures or attributes should
be added if they enhance utility. Unstructured data can be given
structure in this way as well.</p>
data, values generated by such techniques should be labeled as such, and
it should be possible to retrieve any original values replaced by
enrichment.</p>
be made available along with the dataset. Sharing such code is
particularly important for scientific data. </p>
</section>
<section class="outcome">

#ProvideComplementaryPresentations
==================================

Intended outcome:

To provide humans with immediate insight into the data.

#ProvideFeedbackToPublisher
===========================

My version of the intended outcome:

Help original publishers to determine how the data they post is being
used, which in turn helps them justify publishing the data. Make
publishers aware of the steps they can take to improve their data, thus
leading to more and better data for everyone.

And this BP definitely needs a reference to the DUV!!

I would replace this:
publisher’s contact information, the URI of the dataset you used, and
the date on which you contacted them. This can be done in comments
within your code where the dataset is used. Follow the publisher’s
preferred route to provide feedback. If they do not provide a route,
look for contact information for the Web site hosting the data.</p>

With

do not provide a route, publish information about your data useage using
the Dataset Usage Vocabulary [[VOCAB-DUV]]. As a minimum, look for
contact information for the Web site hosting the data.</p>

#FollowLicensingTerms
=====================

I would add to the implementation section:

href="/2016/poe/">Permissions and Obligations Expression</a> language
based on the output of the <a href="/community/odrl/">ODRL Community
Group</a>.</p>

Glossary
========

Consider merging Data Format and Representation since they both refer to
he same definition.

Phil

--

Phil Archer