Re: DWBP vocabularies and annotations

Annette,

Thanks for your input!  Please see my comments below.

Eric

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Annette Greiner <amgreiner@lbl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
> First, let me say that I realized today I have been reading the graph
> wrong. I didn't realize that the closed arrows were indicating a subclass.

I think we need to include a legend for the symbols.

> So, I think we're actually on the same page regarding feedback. But I do
> think that other types of usage that people would want to report make sense
> as annotations as well. I guess I'm thinking of annotations as a generally
> useful construct for this because they form a type of formal reference back
> to the original that doesn't exist elsewhere on the web.

Could you give a more concrete example?  Just to be clear are you thinking
about "usage" not covered by the Data Usage vocab?

Since I believe a major goal of the vocabulary is to enable users of data
> to report that usage back to publishers in a way that the publishers can
> find, I see annotations as a mechanism for allowing that sort of reference.
> I think publishers would be interested in being made aware of all the types
> of use we're considering, so that makes me think perhaps they should all be
> defined as some type of annotation. I also like that annotations already
> have a way to record provenance.

I think there are cases it might be appropriate to use the web annotation
model directly.  Maybe we could include pointers to related complementary
efforts.  You mentioned provenance, I see provenance as being in this same
category.  We could include references to the provenance efforts.